Wednesday, October 16, 2013


Finished up the latest heat-bodied oil. It's the dark colored one above on the upper left. It'll be interesting to see how it performs. This time I tried using a cheap Presto deep fryer to heat the oil, but the temperature regulation of it was extremely poor and I think the oil might have darkened somewhat due to the big temperature fluctuations. I'll do another batch soon to try out a different method of heating. Too bad our northwest sun has gone away until next summer or else I'd place it outside to bleach it.

The top middle oil is interesting -- it was a linseed oil that was kept in a lead tray for a few weeks. It was looking pretty good and thickening up nicely, but then I placed it out in the sun for a time. The combination of sun, heat and lead transformed it into an opaque, near-gel-like consistency, but it might still be valuable in small additions.


The remainder of the week has been concentrated on preparing panels. I like the subtle texture of the burnished linen panels.