Monday, September 8, 2008

a view from the studio door

Back in the studio today. The weather's still gorgeous out, but I both need and want to get some work done. At this point, most of my work involves getting the studio set up. Can't do much work without an easel set up, or my paints organized and available, or a workbench ready and waiting with tools in easy reach.

I do love this new space. The largest, by far, that I've ever been in. It almost feels luxurious! Except that I have plenty to fill it with, with all the many mediums I've dipped into over the years. I've always fantasized about having a space where I could set up separate work stations... one for painting, one for drawing, one for encaustic, one for metalworking. Then there's the pottery, the enameling, the glasswork, the dry pigments/tempera/paint-making station... I could go on. Does it sound like I suffer from too many distractions and no focus? PRECISELY. But... I trust... Somehow I know this is what I'm supposed to be doing, and how I'm supposed to be doing it, meandering though it may be...

So here it is. All full of boxes and very little in the way of order... *yet*. I'm working on it. Bit by bit. Letting the space grow out from the first central "core" that I set up at the end of summer -- the desk area, which isn't really visible here (just left to the very center of the picture, behind the table with the meditation cushions sitting on top):


And the view? Truly amazing, considering this is a low-rent artist's studio. Views like this are why people tack on an extra hundred grand or so to the price of a house. I am *very* lucky to have this:


And this is Hubert, cheering me on with a paintbrush in his mouth. I found him over the summer in Republic, WA, looking all forlorn at a garage sale.