Thursday, June 11, 2009

Still at the head sculpture, though it's morphed from an all out "master copy" to ... To what? Well, kind of a conglomeration of many things, really. The master copy was proving to be quite difficult, partly because I'm working from a 2-D image and partly because I need to learn more about face/head anatomy. So with that in mind, I'm doing a lot of work from ecorche' images and also from images of other portrait sculptures showing more profile views (to help with my sense of depth and proportion and anatomy). Also, I'm just letting this face evolve into something that speaks to me, using the various images as merely guides. Still have a ways to go (like the whole left side of the face!) --


I recently ordered a 3-D model of an ecorche' head off the internet. It wasn't cheap, but it WAS a lot cheaper than taking a class. That'll help a whole lot, having a 3-D model to reference. I'm also getting a "planes of the head" model which will be of great help, as well.