Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Looked at some art tonight. I went through a bunch of old art magazines, pulling out images of things that grab me visually. I've been doing this for awhile now (a few years?), and like going back to the images I've saved, which I keep in a binder or in folders on my desktop pc. Initially, it was just a way for me to learn about what I liked in art. I really didn't know at the time (talk about a lack of art education). So I started tearing out images from magazines. If something caught my eye and I found myself admiring it, I'd tear out the image and put it in a scrapbook. Nowadays I keep them all in binders -- pages of images I've torn from art magazines.

So tonight was one of those nights.. of paging through a stack of piled up old magazines and pouring over images, thumbing through pages with hardly a glance, trying to find those images that stop me and compel me look again. I found a few, including some from a couple of already-favorites of mine: Cristina Cordova and Jennifer Trask. I love how Cristina's sculptures are emanating an almost mythological psychology. And Jennifer Trask I discovered just the other day in an ad in a recent metals magazine. Very beautiful eye she has. Purely decorative, but her use of materials like teeth and bones and bugs, intermixed so gracefully (and beautifully) with diamonds and gold -- wow.