Monday, July 27, 2009

A swelteringly hot day today, which means the studio is like a sauna. Went in early to catch what I could of the cooler morning air. Was wanting to do a larger full-face (half life size) sculpt in the water clay, but with the heat and the need for the fan it would have meant too much hassle trying to keep that much clay moist and workable, so I did another quickie smaller face. I like incorporating realism in these works in the form of roughly proper planes and subtle details, but don't want so much perfect realism that it covers up those fingerprints of the unconscious. Still, I feel I'm lacking a good working knowledge of the structure of the eyes. Struggled with that most again in this face, just like all the others. Something I'll continue to work on --


Put some finish wax on the blue patina'd mouth this morning and while I was buffing it out it rubbed off some of the blue, revealing the warm copper tones underneath. *Nice* --


Played around with that little waxed clay face again, this time setting it on a recent texture piece. Some potential here, I think. Kinda speaks to me --