Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Back in the studio today. Summer is over and I've been eager to get back to work. Brought a camera in as well but it was lacking a card, so no pics for today.

I ended up working some more on an oil painting I started while still in Mark's atelier. It's one of my favorite pieces from that time, but it always felt like it needed more. Spent a good part of the morning goofing around with sketches and geometry before breaking out the paints. This painting was originally done using Doak's balsam medium, but (of course) I didn't have that particular bottle at the studio this morning, so I ended up trying out his copal medium instead. Seemed to work very much the same. Maybe just slightly more viscous, although it's been so long since I've worked on this piece I'm not sure my memory can be trusted. But like the balsam medium it left a very matte finish, which I like (and which is in keeping with the original texture of the piece). Will be interesting to see where this painting goes...